Do you want to support Dayton, Oh artists, but don’t know where to start? Here’s a list of 7 different ways you can find local handcrafted gifts throughout the year!
Written by Jessica Adams of Christ Centered Ironworks
1. Local Businesses- You can buy directly from the artist at many local businesses such as a micro galleries, woodworking shops, blacksmithing shops, or a jewelry and gift store. Many of these shops are open to the public only when scheduled ahead, so call before you visit. At places like DYT Digital Woodworking, you can see their handcrafted products, rent time on a laser machine, or discuss a custom project.
4. Online Marketplaces- There are a huge array of online marketplaces that offer handcrafted goods. One of the largest in the US, Etsy, has 1.7 million active sellers worldwide with 45 million items for sale. If you want to buy from Dayton, Oh artists, type your general search word, such as “jewelry”, then after the results come up, on the left hand side you can narrow the results by shop location. You might have a neighbor selling on Etsy, and you didn’t even know!
5. Craft Shows- Also known as craft fairs and craft bazaars, you’ll find these events in the winter. You can find everything from handmade ornaments and Christmas décor, to jewelry, handmade clothing, crochet scarves, bags and more. To find these events, Dayton.com is the most comprehensive list available for craft shows and fairs.
6. Flea Markets- Open year round, flea markets provide to have an interesting array of items. Although the largest flea markets in the area are a bit of a drive, they’re worth it! Stop by Trader’s World Market, Treasure Aisles, or Caesar's Creek Flea Market. Although many of the booths sell general merchandise or used items, you can find those sellers that offer handcrafted gems. My favorite time of the year to go is in the summer. I love walking through the outdoor spaces and searching for treasures!
7. Art Galleries- Your first impression of an art gallery might be that all they sell is paintings! Well, you’d be surprised to know that many of them also have spaces for handmade gifts. Dayton Visual Arts Center (DVAC) offers a Holiday Gift Gallery event that runs mid-November through Christmas, where select curated Dayton, Oh artists can offer their artwork.
We hope you’ve enjoyed seeing all the ways you can find Dayton, Oh artists right here in our community! Please show your support for you fellow Daytonians!
If you liked this article, leave us a comment! Find more articles like this in our blog!
Cutting Board Photos from DYT Digital Woodworking, Other Photos by Jessica Adams